Swedish for immigrants
Swedish for immigrants, sfi, is a free basic education in Swedish. At the sfi office we guide and inform you about sfi and determine your level of Swedish.
Who can attend sfi?
In order to study sfi, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must have a valid residence permit in Sweden or be an EU/EEA citizen.
- You must live in Uppsala kommun.
- You must have a need for sfi (lack basic knowledge of Swedish).
- You must be at least 20 years old or have a complete upper secondary school (high school) diploma from your home country.
Registration at the Sfi office
You sign up for Sfi by contacting the Sfi office by phone or by visiting us at UJC Boländerna, Bolandsgatan 4.
In the conversation with you, we make a survey of your educational and professional background and help you to choose a school and course. The waiting time for course start is 2–6 weeks.
The Sfi courses are free of charge. Sfi students are not entitled to CSN grants or loans.
Prepare your application to sfi online
Contact the Sfi office
Phone number: 018-727 22 10
Drop in hours:
If you have studied sfi in Uppsala before and want to study again you need to contact the sfi office.
Sfi schools in Uppsala
- Utbildnings- och jobbcenters vuxenutbildning
- Bergstrands sfi (Yrkesplugget sfi)
Course start dates and deadlines
Courses starting on March 6 - last day to apply is February 16
Courses starting on April 3 - last day to apply is March 16
Courses starting on May 2 (Tuesday) - last day to apply is April 13
Courses starting on May 29 - last day to apply is May 11
Courses starting on June 26 - last day to apply is June 8
Courses starting on August 7 - last day to apply is July 20